Contractual Agreement Between DFA & Recipient
Owning a DFA trained Companion Service Dog is a great privilege. These highly talented specialist dogs are a culmination of hundreds of hours of patient, dedicated training by highly skilled professionals. They are worth tens of thousands of dollars yet they are freely gifted to their recipients on the understanding that their new owners truly appreciate their value. Each recipient is expected to not only provide his/her companion with a loving, comfortable home environment, but to also make the effort required to fully comprehend and respect the training method – Don Sullivan’s Nature-Based Discipline, Praise & Play Method™ – that has made their CSD such a success. Recipient declares that s/he is:
- At least 18 years of age.
- Emotionally stable.
- Possesses the leadership capabilities necessary to maintain the training standards achieved at The DogFather® Academy.
- Resides in a location where sufficient, proper cardiovascular exercise can be provided to the DFA CSD on a daily basis.
- Currently receives sufficient reliable income to cover the costs of providing and caring for the DFA CSD.
- Speaks and reads English to the degree that will be necessary for viewing and learning the training materials provided by DFA, and also for communicating effectively with the Certified DFA Trainer.
- Carefully watch both Perfect Dog® DVDs at least twice through in their entirety before receiving his/her service dog.
- Continue to only use the DFA training techniques (in accordance with Don Sullivan’s Nature-Based Discipline, Praise & Play Method™) whenever interacting with his/her service dog. Recipient will use a balanced combination of this nature-based discipline along with praise and play in order to maximize his/her bond with and authority over the dog.
- Not offer food or treats to his/her service dog as a reward for good behavior. Recipient will require all other people to also refrain from this behavior. If the recipient desires to feed his/her service dog extra food other than the dog’s regular meals, this food must be placed in the dog’s food bowl (and not dispensed from the recipient’s hand) for general consumption.
- Ensure his/her service dog receives sufficient daily cardiovascular exercise as directed by the DFA trainer during placement. This is critical to the maintenance of the training standards achieved during the dog’s time at The DogFather® Academy.
- Not smoke (cigarettes, cigars, marijuana, or any other substances) around the DFA CSD in confined spaces including the recipient’s place of residence and vehicle.
- Not visit community dog parks with the DFA CSD due to the potential negative influence of untrained and/or unruly dogs.
- Fully cooperate (to the best of his/her ability) with DFA’s right to spot test a DFA trained service dog following placement with two weeks minimum notice.
- Maintain the training standards achieved by the Certified DFA Trainer, and to also provide reasonable care (including sufficient daily cardiovascular exercise) for the dog.
- Recognize that the associated sponsor of a DFA trained Companion Service Dog retains the right to repossess the said DFA CSD should the recipient be found to be in serious breach of this Agreement. Recipient agrees to fully cooperate (to the best of his/her ability) with sponsor’s right to repossess the DFA CSD should this course of action be deemed necessary.